Saturday

04-28-2007 - Some Places I'm Sure to Hit

1. Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming. Last time I stayed at the KOA in Jackson, which was great - this time I may just stay in the park.

2. Yellowtone National Park, Wyoming. Last year I stayed in Canyon Campground on the first day it was open and ran into a black bear making his usual rounds after months of no human presence (he could not have cared less I was there).
I'd like to stay in Canyon again but I'll be there too early - two weeks before the campground opens. I thought the whole park was great, but plan to focus this time on the northern part and will probably stay near Tower Falls in the northeastern region.

3. Sawtooth National Recreation Area, Idaho. This comes recommended by a friend (who's rep is on the line). I'm looking forward to driving through a good chunk of Idaho. I have no doubt it is under-rated, as is much of Canada.

4. Glacier National Park, Montana. VERY excited about this, on the Montana-Canada border.

5. Alberta, Canada. There are actually several Canadian National Parks within a couple hundred miles I'll hit here: Banff, Jasper, Yoho, Kootenay, Glacier (not related to the one in Montana) and Mount Revelstoke. Check any movie in the last decade or more that portrays either Alaska or Wyoming, and you'll find it was actually filmed in Canada either in British Columbia or in Alberta around Banff. That's right Brokeback fans, almost that entire movie ain't Wyoming, it's Alberta (see IMDB.com)

6. Well, there is no six. After Alberta, it's pretty much wide open for a couple thousand miles through Canada and a bit of Alaska. So, I'll just see what I run into.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Greg,

Have a wonderful trip!!! Be safe and post blogs often. Remember that we will be living our lives through you this summer. Best of luck and write often.

XOXOs

Basia