Saturday

6-7-2007 - The End of the Roadtrip, but Not the End of the Road.

The last couple of days I drove across the Yukon, stopping briefly in Whitehorse, and then down to Anchorage. I would qualify it as “tough sledding” – a pretty arduous journey by modern standards. I loved the way the official sign on the highway described it: Every time a road is constructed the ground surface is disturbed. Disturbance of the insulating layer of vegetation allows additional heat to penetrate below the surface, thawing permafrost and creating a zone called a thaw bulb. Thaw bulbs, so called because of their shape, are responsible for the big rolling dips and bumps that make you feel as though your car has become an out of control porpoise as you travel down the highway.”

I’ll let you guess which part of that description I find hilarious!

So you pretty much have to stare at the road for hundreds of miles and hour after hour to avoid bottoming out and gouging out chunks of pavement (as I could see many vehicles before me had done), which gets a bit tedious after a while, especially since you can't really relax and enjoy the scenery so much. I'll admit I got frustrated at one point, but then I again ended up laughing about it, and even started whooping and hollering every once in a while like that guy riding the bomb out of the plane in Dr. Strangelove.

I'm definitely glad to have my truck, and pulled it over at exactly 5000.0 trip miles, which just happened to be at the doorstep to Kluane National Park in the Yukon.

I was very happy to re-enter the USA again today, and obviously to be doing so in AK.


Finally, I'm back where ordering a "liter of cola" is funny (I know at least one of you gets that reference).

As when I went through customs into Canada on my out of the lower 48, I had “Born in the USA” playing on the stereo, and screamed “YEEEAAAAHHH” at the top of my lungs about 6 or 7 times after I crossed the border and realized, after much pondering and doubt and fear over the last several months, that I AM HERE. I don’t want to get too mushy, but I would really like to thank all of my friends, which I won’t try to do by name, who helped me get through the last few years, and indeed the last couple decades. I would especially like to thank my parents who have been so supportive, and hope I can carve out an existence up here which will make us all proud.

I will make this the last post on this blog, but will share some photos from later adventures around Alaska on a different blog for those who have expressed an interest. Thanks to all who have followed along and to all who commented. A few final pics on the way to Anchorage:

After midnight near the Yukon/Alaska border:

Two glaciers off the highway within a couple hours of Anchorage:

Another miles-long glacier off the highway shows they really are rivers of ice, and displays where it once was and how far it has receded:

My first "apartment" in Anchorage (at 10:45 pm), with a touch of home glinting on the picnic table bench:

Final Trip Odometer: 5628
Days: 18
Highest Gas Price: $4.93 (Dease Lake, British Columbia - adjusted to US dollars/gallon).

So, that's it. Now to find an apartment and job. And to head out into The Last Frontier.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should make one final blog entry with some pictures of Anchorage itself, so everyone can get an idea of what it looks like there and what type of view you'll have from your apartment. Very relieved that you have arrived safely, while envious of the adventure you've had. We've all enjoyed the blog.

Anonymous said...

Dear Slim Pickens:
The snozberries taste like snozberries. You are one out of control porpoise.
Regards

Anonymous said...

Good work my friend ... I was late to the blog party, because Ogle's an indolent hump, but 1) Thoroughly enjoyed it, and 2) Look forward to the new one ....... You know, when he gives me the link in mid-July.

Unknown said...

Hey Greg,

Glad you made it to Alaska safely, although you are missing on a lot of fun in St. Louis (if you call this fun). I hope you will continue on with the blog to let us know what is going on. If not at least write an e-mail once in a while. Take care!

Basia

Anonymous said...

Hey Greg...Thanks so much for sharing your adventures and for the great pics!! I'm definitely having a hard time getting adjusted to being back...and am envious of your continued travels. Thanks also for being with us at Lake Louise and for taking such great pictures...it meant a lot to both of us to have 2 smiling, friendly faces with us!! I'm looking forward to hearing all about the next chapter...

Anonymous said...

Have so enjoyed traveling vicariously with you. What wonderful pictures you've shared - I see a career as a photo-journalist in your future! Best of luck with the apartment and job hunt and hope we're allowed to share some of your next new experiences! (And your wedding photos of Josh & Deanne are outstanding!) Here's to your next great adventure! Mr & Mrs E.

Anonymous said...

Have really enjoyed this trip via your blog, albiet a bit vicariously, as stated in the previous comment. Vickye and I loved our trip to Alaska and just may fly up again in the not too distant future. No cruise nest time.

Please don't forget to send next blog address to me when it is online.

Ralph Hoffman said...

Greg,
I never got the chance to read about your trip until today. I loved it. I have been to some of the places you visited and as I read along, I wished I was right there with you and Jeff. If that country doesn't stir your soul, nothing will. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Anonymous said...

Gregorio,
It has been too long. I thought about you last week during my trip to Colorado. I felt like I really was roughing it after 4 days of no showering and sleeping in a tent. Now I feel like a total amateur! I hope things are going well in AK. If I don't pass the Bar in September - you may get a surprise visitor. Hope to hear from you soon.
Shine on you crazy diamond,
Nicole